How long are quotes delayed?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jmalcolm001, Mar 16, 2016.

How long are quotes delayed?

1. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

How long are the quotes delayed in MarketXLS? It was my understanding that quotes are delayed by 15 minutes, which is an acceptable delay. However this morning, I added the "Lasttrade_Time" function for my stocks for the first time, and at 11:30 am, out of 21 stock quotes, MarketXLS showed last trade time of 4:00 pm or 4:02 pm of what I assume is the previous day for 18 of the 21 stocks. Only 3 of the stocks showed a last trade time of today, and those were each at least 25 minutes old. I compared these readings to the stocks in My Portfolio in Yahoo Finance, and all of the 21 stocks had last trade times of within 5 minutes of the 11:30 read time. Why would MarketXLS still be showing such old trade times? The last trade prices are probably also yesterday;s prices.

In addition, all of the day's high and lows are still showing information from the prior day, and none have updated to the current day's highs or lows.

Another problem I am having is with the ChangeFrom52_weekLow function. It seems to work for 19 of the 21 stocks, but for STX it shows #VALUE! and for JNJ it shows N/A.

I am using Excel 2016 and my setting is in Group Mode and I have my symbol list selected.

2. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Update:

At 11:52 am, I refreshed again and now 19 of the stocks show a last trade time of 11:36 am, while 2 still show 4:00 pm. The day's highs and lows are still showing yesterday's highs and lows.

3. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jerrry,

Ok, STX and JNJ seems to be working fine for ChangeFrom52_weekLow. Are you sure you do not have any spaces after the symbols?

Regarding the last trade time, the data should be okay it looks to be a refresh related issue. I would recommend the following...
    After you click on refresh, look at the bottom of your Excel screen and it there you see "calculating...x%" then may be wait till the calculation is complete. If that does not work as well, try pressing F2 key on the cell and then press enter. Let me know if you face this again.

Many Thanks
    Ankur

4. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Regarding the problems with STX and JNJ, symbol references were the same as used in several other functions in the same sheet, and all the others worked fine. Later that same day, the ChangeFrom52_weekLow for STX and JNJ seemed to work fine. Not sure what the initial problem was.

Regarding the last trade time, later in the day, all the data appeared to be OK. So it does appear to have been a refresh related issue, but what is puzzling is why some data was correct, but others were not. I would think that any refresh problem would be consistent for all symbols.

I always refresh by clicking on "refresh all." In the lower left hand corner of the sheet, "Ready" is normally shown, but when I click to refresh, the "Ready" disappears and nothing replaces it. When it finishes refreshing (5-10 seconds), the "Ready" reappears, but I don't see any "calculating" indication. I wish there were some more overt indicators that the refreshing was occurring.

What are the alternatives to clicking on "Refresh All," since I may not always be in the MarketXLS tab? Does pressing F2 work or do you need to hold F2 and press enter?

One last question: Do you need to load a selected list of symbols each time you open a worksheet, or does it remember the setting from the last time?

5. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Addendum:

The days highs and lows also seem to correct later in the day and seemed fine the following day also, so again it must have been a refresh-related issue.

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok, sure.. so here are the answers...

What are the alternatives to clicking on "€œRefresh All,"€ since I may not always be in the MarketXLS tab? Does pressing F2 work or do you need to hold F2 and press enter?

Answer: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 is a replacement of Refresh All
    For a single cell. Just press F2 once on the cell which you want to calculate and press enter. You do not need to hold it, just press it and hit enter.

Do you need to load a selected list of symbols each time you open a worksheet, or does it remember the setting from the last time?

Answer: It remembers the setting so you do not need to load it again.

7. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Thanks for your quick response. I tried the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 as you indicated, and received an interesting response. The "Ready" indicator at the bottom left corner does not disappear, but the cursor changes to a blue rotating circle. As I indicated above, if I refresh by clicking on the "Refresh All," the "Ready" indicator in the bottom left corner disappears, and the cursor does not change shape. It also seems to take about twice as long for the refresh to complete as compared to just clicking on "Refresh All." Why the different responses between the two methods of refreshing?

8. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok. Good catch.

What marketxls does at refresh all is CTRL+SHIFT+F9. Sorry I mentioned CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 in the previous post. Actually they are similar but not exactly the same.

CTRL+SHIFT+F9 - Does recalculate the workbook formulas but does not checked the references of the formulas.
    CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 - Is like one level higher, it rebuilds all references and recalculates all the formulas.

So, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 will take a bit longer but will get absolute accuracy in larger models with lots of links and dependencies across Excel workbook. At the same time CTRL+SHIFT+F9 is a resonable balance in most usual circumstances.

I hope this makes sense.

9. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Yes, that makes sense. However, are you sure about the CTRL+SHIFT+F9? I tried it on my sheet, and it does nothing: no change in "Ready" indicator, no change in cursor, and no change in the data. I also tried CTRL+ALT+F9; SHIFT+F9 and just F9; and the apparent responses appears to be same as CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9 with respect to the "Ready" indicator, cursor, data update and time until sheet becomes available again. I also tried ALT+F9 and the response was the same as CTRL+SHIFT+F9; nothing.

Where am I going wrong? Thus far, it appears that just F9 is the most convenient from a key stroke standpoint, with its only downside being it takes 20-30 seconds to complete.

10. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. F9 should work fine as well. About the load time, upcoming release should fix latency issue just a couple of more days.

Kind regards
    Ankur