How some functions work?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dr761, Jan 24, 2018.

How some functions work?

1. dr761

dr761 New Member

I'm trying to understand the correct usage and what each of these returns:

Option_ExpirationDate("msft")
    Option_StrikePrice("msft")
    Option_Last_Price("msft") - I saw a note somewhere that this should return an option chain

Is there any documentation on the functions in addition to the function reference which just has the syntax?

Thanks,
    David

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

You would need the option symbol in the formula.

Kind regards
    Ankur for MarketXLS

3. dr761

dr761 New Member

Hi Ankur,

My examples have the option symbol, I'm trying to understand what each one returns.

I just did:
    =Option_ExpirationDate("msft")
    and got:
    63.62 - 96.07
    what is that result?

I just did:
    Option_StrikePrice("msft")
    and got:
    91.80 - 93.50
    what is that result?

It doesn't seem like the results have anything to do with the name of the function?

Thanks,
    David

4. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

Ideally they should not be returning anything with that symbol. We will make a update on the server. For options, we must use =Option functions only.

Kind regards
    Ankur for marketxls

5. dr761

dr761 New Member

I don't understand your answer. What would be a correct symbol for each of those and what would they return? I am using =Option functions.

David

6. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

As one David to another ... I use some of the Options functions. I believe they require a full option specification as the parameter. So, when I use =Option_Ask, =Option_Bid, and =Option_Last the parameter I use is:
    nnnnneeeeeetssssssss where:
    nnnnn is the ticker symbol (may be less than 5 characters)
    eeeeee is the expiration, such as 180316 (for March 16, 2018)
    t is either a C for a Call or a P for a Put
    ssssssss is the strike price to the thousandth of a cent (so 00100000 is $100)
    =Last("XPO180316C00100000") will return the last price for a March 16 2018 $100 Call on XPO Logistics.

Hope that helps. (I don't see why the functions like =Options_StrikePrice exist since they would seem to just return data that is embedded in the parameter.)

David

7. dr761

dr761 New Member

Thanks, David, for your reply. I use the other =Option functions with the parameter as you've specified and they work fine. As you point out, =Options_StrikePrice doesn't make any sense since the strike price is in the parameter. I was thinking that maybe =Options_StrikePrice would return a list of all of the strike prices and that =Option_ExpirationDate("msft") might return all of the expiration dates. Since I can't make any sense of them, I'm hoping that Ankur will explain their usage, purpose and return results.

David

8. dr761

dr761 New Member

Ankur -
    I'd appreciate your response to my note above.
    Thanks,
    David

9. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay. I am holding my response as option functions will need to change in coming release with minimal impact to the end users to provide better and consistent feed. We will be moving to new data source.

Thanks for your patience. We are working to get options working much better than before. I understand the inconvenience, but we are on it to resolve asap.

Kind regards
    Ankur

10. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

All these functions are essentially meant to extract the relevant values from the symbol itself. Sorry, if this caused confusion. They are all in the parameters and in the symbol. You can use excel functions like, left, mid, right etc to extract the same.

Kind regards
    Ankur

11. dr761

dr761 New Member

When will you be moving to the new data source so that the results are reliable? Right now I'm very frustrated by missing results.
    David

12. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

We are targeting next week.

"we are going to resolve the Mutual fund and option data feed issues with integration Quotemedia data feed. This may mean end user may need to sign up for the better data feed from the vendor directly. We are already working on the integration and expect to release a version next week or so. For all existing users we will take up a lot of cost ourselves but a very little per user fee (less than $8 pm for both) may apply. We are trying to work out so there is minimal financial impact on our users. Nothing is finalized as yet but the development is already on. I will update you on email as soon as we have more concrete details."

Kind regards
    Ankur