Last function returned N/A

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by David Kanof, Nov 13, 2017.

Last function returned N/A

1. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

I have had several occasions where a function (in this case Last for ticker CLX) return N/A. A retry then works and returns a valid value. I have also had this happen with symbol AIG-WT.

While it seems that it is easy to manually 'recover' from this, it does mean that automated tasks are not reliable. And, even when doing manual (interactive) activities, a single N/A in a list of returned values that are then operated upon (e.g., summed) then don't work and one must look for what individual function invocation caused the problem.

Are you aware of what causes this sort of erroneous response and working to fix it?

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David,

This should be okay now.

Thanks

3. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

Thank you. I have noticed that it has been working properly for several days now.

marketxls likes this.
  4. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

I guess I spoke too soon. Last night (12/14/2017 @ 11:30 PM EST) it returned N/A again for the symbol AIG-WT!

5. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

This continues to be an intermittent problem. Right now it is returning N/A for AIG-WT, although it worked earlier today.

6. dleeper47

dleeper47 New Member

I am getting a response to Last1(INDU:IND) only about half the time ... the rest of the time, I get "VALUE! entered into the cell. This is really messing up my spreadsheet.

I've just started using MarketXLS again. Is this kind of intermittent error a common thing? I'll wait (of course) to see if it gets cleared up, but it's a real problem for me!

7. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

Last night (Tuesday Nov. 9) at 11:30PM LAST("AIG-WT") again returned N/A. But it was working during the day today.

Any update on when this might be fixed?

8. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David

Please can you confirm you are using =Last function?

Thanks

9. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

Yes, it is the =Last function. Also the =Change function. And they either both work or both fail for the symbol AIG-WT. Last night (Wednesday Nov 10) at 11:30PM EST they did work. The night before they did not.

As dleeper47 noted, this messes up an entire worksheet as a SUM on the column then fails. And, in my case, this is automated, so I am not there watching and able to retry hoping to get it to work.

10. dleeper47

dleeper47 New Member

I'm still getting intermittent failures on =Last1("INDU:IND"), although there were fewer failures today.

I added =Close_Historical(A1,TODAY()-1) to my spreadsheet today where A1="INDU:IND", but it never seems to work -- it puts "NA" in my spreadsheet every time.

The Close_Historical() function works fine on all my other 24 issues.

Are quotes on INDU:IND especially problematic?

I'll keep trying ... (!)

11. dleeper47

dleeper47 New Member

In the immediate spirit of "keep trying", I just noted that =Close_Historical(A1,TODAY()-1) does seem to work when A1=^DJI.

So I may have a good work-around for now.

A broader question: Is there a link that explains the difference between Last(), Last1(), Last2(), etc.? Is trial-and-error the only way to find the functions and arguments that work?