NA and N/A

Discussion in 'Feature Ideas' started by ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup, Nov 6, 2017.

NA and N/A

1. ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup

ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup New Member

This may be more of an Excel thing than a MarketXLS but I just realized last week (after several years of use) that there is a difference between NA and N/A outputs. NA as I have come to understand it means no data. If I rerun the formula over and over I will never get data from it as there is nothing or the request is invalid.

N/A however, generally means a memory was overloaded or a failure to transmit the data. If I rerun the formula it often will populate the data.

For a beginner user, is there a way to output ERROR or Rerun or some sort of warning for N/As? I've also noticed if I run 50 formulas at once, there sometimes is a pattern in the output, like every fourth data point is an N/A failure.

marketxls likes this.
  2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok, we will get this to be consistent and everything from the server will return only NA without the slash.

Thanks

3. ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup

ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup New Member

Hi, I think I was unclear and realize this isn't a big priority. Please do not normalize NAs and N/As to the same "NA". That is the only way I can differentiate between no data available (impossible to do) and an error. When I find a slash N/A I just rerun the formula and it usually works fine.

I don't know if this could be a feature but it could be great if there was a way to one click or one button re-run every formula that produces a server side error.

4. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm. I see what you mean. There is a way, but if something returned NA first time its very likely the same will be the case again. I will take a note.