PreviousClose() returns wrong trading day or wrong value

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greg Resker, Aug 14, 2017.

PreviousClose() returns wrong trading day or wrong value

1. Greg Resker

Greg Resker New Member

It is Mon, 8/14/2017, 10:20EDT and the market has been open almost an hour. Just now, PreviousClose(NVDA) returned 164.74 which was the close for Thur, 8/10/2017. The correct previous close, Fri, 8/11/2017 should be 155.96. What causes such a delay?

On the other hand, PreviousClose(AMD) just returned 12.22 which doesn't match anything. The correct previous close, Fri, 8/11/2017 should be 12.23 (although that may be truncating/rounding in the service you use).

Thanks,
    Greg Resker

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Greg,

I have noticed this issues. I am working on these on the server. Thanks for notifying.

3. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Greg,

The previous close is returning 155.95. The delay is about the data source which is a bit delayed. I do however understand that after the market open the previous close should be the previous day. I will look into this.

4. Greg Resker

Greg Resker New Member

I feel strongly that PreviousClose() has to be correct by late evening of the day the market closes. It is not useful for trading/analysis purposes to have to wait for the next market open for PreviousClose() to be correct. What if I want to do analyses over a weekend? The market has been open for almost 2 hours today, Tues 8/15/2017, and almost every amount I have checked for PreviousClose() in my S&P 500 list is incorrect - and they are not even the prior day's close, they are just randomly incorrect. This has to be a reliable figure that's available the same night the market closes. As unstable as Yahoo can sometimes be, the day's close is availble the same trading day.

5. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Greg,

Yes, I am working to fix this. It will be fixed shortly.

Thanks for your understanding.

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Greg,

This should now be fixed.

Thanks for notifying.

7. Greg Resker

Greg Resker New Member

Since your last reply, I have been trying to use PreviousClose() for analysis for 9 days and it still does not update to the correct value of the previous day's close until the market opens the next day. It never updated all last weekend until the market opened Monday morning. Please let me know if it is going to be available when most other sources have it posted - i.e. late evening on the day of the close. Thanks.

8. Skip Egley

Skip Egley New Member

I just get

#VALUE!

when I try PreviousClose.
    I've tried many symbols, all of them give the same #VALUE!.
    It has an issue with the symbol.
    If I step into the function you see PreviousClose(#NAME?) after the first step.

Is this going to be fixed?

9. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Skip,

Previous close seems to be working fine. #Name generally means the functions are not installed properly. Are other functions working for you?

Thanks