Using the symbol lookup in excel feature of MarketXLS, you can easily lookup ticker information of stocks across all stock exchanges. The feature allows you to lookup ticker symbols for any company listed on any exchange. Symbol lookup works for stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, indices, as well as derivatives.
Let’s look at how to use the stock symbol lookup in excel.
The symbol lookup feature is available under the Utilities section of the MarketXLS panel in excel.
Using the symbol lookup is a two-step process:
- Type a keyword such as a stock symbol, name, exchange name, or any description that you know about what you’re looking for.
- Select the cell containing the information and click the ‘Symbol Lookup’ button.
MarketXLS will search for the symbols and present the results in a new sheet. In the following example, I searched for ‘MSFT’, and as you can see, I am presented with all the tickers that contain the keyword ‘MSFT’.
The resulting table contains three pieces of information, the ticker symbol, the ticker name, and the ticker exchange. Once you have the ticker information, you can start using it in your stock research such as downloading historical stock quotes data in excel.
Things to note:
- Symbol lookup in excel feature does a full-text search of the data and will therefore return all the symbols matching your keyword
- The symbol lookup works with only one keyword search at a time.
- Symbol lookup feature is available in MarketXLS Pro version.