Variable Sources

Discussion in 'Portfolio Management' started by James Grant, Dec 1, 2018.

Variable Sources

Tags:
  1. James Grant

James Grant New Member

The source for MarketXLS variables apparently comes from Yahoo, but I am finding wide disagreement between what MarketXLS returns and what Yahoo provides. For example,

=EPSEstimateNextYear (2019) for CELG gives a value of $9.29. At Yahoo Finance the amount is $10.35. That is a huge difference that dramatically effects a stock's valuation. Similarly, =EPSEstimateNextQuarter results in $2.01 but is $2.40 at Yahoo Finance, another huge difference.

Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi James,

All Eearnings estimates come from our data vendor Quotemedia. I will check and confirm the differences.

Kind Regards
    Ankur for MarketXLS

3. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi James,

I checked the on the server and it seems to be the estimates to be streaming fine from our data vendor. Now, there are some differences in number of analysts as well. I guess that is attributable to just be a difference data source so they may not match yahoo finance.
    I am not sure if you noticed but we added a lot many functions around estimates which can highlight a lot more about estimates. Even things like number of analysts etc.

If you want me to check with our vendor then let me know but I think the new functions as shown below should provide good guidance.

Kind Regards
    Ankur

upload_2018-12-29_23-57-59.png

Kind Regards
    Ankur for MarketXLS