MarketXLS Updates - Release 8.0.0.7 - followup

Discussion in 'Announcements, Updates and New Releases' started by marketxls, Nov 4, 2017.

MarketXLS Updates - Release 8.0.0.7 - followup

1. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

You are receiving this email because you purchased MarketXLS in the past or you have subscribed to its mailing list.

I wanted to follow up on some of the updates around issues you have highlighted in the forum or via email to us in the last couple of days. This is just an update, no action is required on your end.

1) Performance :

We are working to get the performance of the server improved considerably by making some changes to the code on the server.
    (Nothing changes for you on the sheets)

We expect the changes to be completed by Sunday EOD, so by Monday, the performance will be much better.

The three main functions which are causing the 70% latency is from the following functions.

=Close_historical (39.7%) *
    =hf_fundamental functions (18.7%)
    =PreviousClose Function (10.7%)

(Last 3 day's data)

We have updated =PreviousClose and we should be better by 10% overall in terms of performance. The rest 2 will be fixed by Sunday EOD.

We will make little tweaks around this in coming weeks to improve performance in the background.

2) FX Functions :

We released a server update tonight so the FX functions should be working, it was a bug in the code. Sory for the delay on these.

3) Dividend per Share and MarketCap :

These functions should also be working fine now for the most part. Would request to exercise caution on these two for this week.

4) DaysHigh, DaysLow, 52 Week Averages, 200 Day averages:
    These functions should be working fine now.

If there are anything other issues you have highlighted in the forum or to the support email and it's not on this list, please be assured we are working on those as well. But we are sorting the latency on the servers as our priority.

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Just wanted to update that this change is now pushed. So you should see some improvements in performance.

Kind regards
    Ankur

3. imwechter

imwechter New Member

It is Monday morning, and numerous functions are still not working. What's the latest status of the fixes and performance improvements that were supposed to be completed by Sunday EOD?

4. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

It was completed, Ira. May I ask if you have the latest version? Which function is not working for you?

Thanks

5. brennanr2

brennanr2 New Member

DividendRate is not working. It was broken last week, working at times over the weekend, and now broken again.

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok, Yes. I see it. I will take a note to fix.

Kind regards
    Ankur

7. brennanr2

brennanr2 New Member

Thank you. I just purchased this product and to be honest I did not know It was a product in the alpha or beta stages of development. Do you have statistics as far as what percent of the time your product is fully functional? I think the product is great when it is working, but so far seems to almost never be totally functional.

8. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure.
    We are facing temporary delays/updates due to a lot of sudden traffic coming our way. Please, can you suggest what is the exact issue you are facing? Which function, which symbol? Many thanks

9. brennanr2

brennanr2 New Member

Well as I stated DividendRate is not working. Since this is an important function to me it does not matter if all other functions are working and it is only this one. I know you are working on it, but when people rely on financial data and that data is constantly down it makes the tool not very useful no matter how good it is during the uptime.

As a new user I really do not know if you experience near flawless uptime and perhaps I stumbled across the product at an inopportune time (which I understand) or if I should expect several outages per month going forward? I'm just looking to set my expectations.

10. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

An outage is when the server is down and nothing works. This has never happened so far. Things change and some functions may need to be redone, recalculated, or taken off for some time, but we are generally on the top of them.

11. dpcooper

dpcooper New Member

I have the latest version, and find that the functions I rely on often do not work. I reboot my computer frequently to make sure that it isn't hanging up from full memory (unlikely though that should be with my computer). These are the functions that I rely on that make this program useful to me and don't seem to work much of the time:
    =LastTrade_PriceOnly(),
    =PreviousClose()

I also use these functions that often don't work:
    =(YHOO_Option_Bid()
    =(YHOO_Option_Ask()

I would like to use the Refresh All and Refresh Selected many times during trading hours to get information on my rather large portfolio's position and look for trading opportunities, but I find I cannot rely on your program to get useful data. I long for the days in the past when your program had far fewer bells and whistles, but worked like a charm to keep me up to the minute on my positions.

m_cope likes this.
  12. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

I am a new user as well, just having started a trial a few days ago. I have a few questions that I will post as individual items, but I thought I would chime in here to say that I, too, depend on this data being available and working all the time. As an example, I have an automated task that updates a spreadsheet nightly at 11:30PM and then saves a copy for each day. If that process fails, then I have lost that data, as I may not see that it failed until after it is too late to try it again.

I am most interested in the access to data in my spreadsheets. All the other capabilities you provide look interesting and I am sure I may use them from time to time. But most important to me (as it seems to be to some of your other customers) is a reliable and reasonably-efficient access to market data. So far, I would say that at least 50% of the time that I have tried to refresh data it has failed for one reason or another. One that is of particular concern is when it returns N/A for functions like Last and then when I look it says that I either have a limited function or expired license. In most cases, if I close the workbook and open it again the license problem seems to correct itself and then the data access usually works.

I also experienced the DividendYield function not working (it is now). I don't know your development process, but I would expect that before you push changes you are reasonably sure they work. MarketXLS will be of no use to me if at any one time there are some of the functions that I depend on that are broken.

I do believe that you should reconsider what you consider as an outage. I believe that at least brennanr2 and I would consider that when functions that have been working stop that is as much an outage as if the server is down.

Sorry to seem harsh. I really do hope that MarketXLS can meet my needs. But so far during my trial I am having my doubts.

brennanr2 likes this.
  13. ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup

ankurwuzzzzzzzzzup New Member

** Disclaimer I am not affiliated with MarketXLS even if I have the dev's name in my username, which I could imagine looks weird.

All these criticisms are valid but should be taken within the context of other financial products out there. No one is offering something this powerful at this pricepoint. I have made an assload of money using MarketXLS and am glad it was so cheaply priced, as if it had been $1K or $2K, I probably never would have tested it

Of course we deserve 100% uptime when it's our money on the line (I can't really daytrade tomorrow as I would be flying blind) but from what I understand it's not so much a financial news delivery product, as much as it cobbles together API calls from various services. Two years ago it was all Yahoo Finance API calls, now Quandl and some others are involved? So it's at the mercy of the host data source, if Yahoo goes down or the API starts spitting out errors, that's what we get. Think of this product as a Excel transcription service.

I get plenty of errors, but here's what I do: rerun formulas and copy paste as text any formulas that don't need to be rerun. Otherwise, you kind of have to accept that shit will break every now and then.

marketxls likes this.
  14. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

I really appreciate your post here as this gives me what we need most. Thank You. In the new version. We will get all functions in Group mode. This would mean one call to the server and we will eliminate the root cause of latency. We are taking a bigger Box at 9PM EDT today and will sort this out. Thanks again

15. Kevin Dacey

Kevin Dacey New Member

For what it is worth, I have been really happy with Market XLS for a while, and while it has been really frustrating for the past week, the service has been great for a long time for me.

dpcooper, m_cope and marketxls like this.
  16. m_cope

m_cope New Member

Like other users, I've been very satisfied with Market XLS prior to the major hiccups of this past week. It's Tuesday morning and the DividendRate function is still returning incorrect values (yes, Release 8.0.0.7 is installed). Waiting patiently for the service to regain full functionality.

marketxls likes this.
  17. dpcooper

dpcooper New Member

I agree, Kevin, Market XLS and its predecessor program have been invaluable to me for years. I have relied on them to be my finger on the pulse of the market. and that is part of my frustration. They have been so dependable in the past, and so much a part of my daily routine, that now that I can not use XLS reliably, I am about to the point of tearing out my hair! I am glad to know that the developers are working on solutions, and I hope they come up with solid fixes soon. I wish there was something like a Market XLS 'lite' that had just the basic last price function for stocks and options, and nothing much else, like the original program. It should be very easy to keep a lite version up and running.

marketxls likes this.
  18. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

I have only been a Pro member for a few days.
    As dpcooper has said, these software market data services become ingrained in our daily routines.
    Reliability is a KPI.
    But upsets will occur (should be expected) from time to time.
    It is the time to resolution the is important.
    Time to Resolution is another KPI.

Their responsiveness to resolving the current issues appears to be excellent.
    [Current issues could be expected considering the Yahoo just eliminated a long standing fast URL service. Following their API fiasco from the summer. And MarketXLS offers a free 7 day trial. I suspect considerable trials are attempting to replace what they had for free for Yahoo. With the associated server load.]

If the current issues are successfully resolved in short order,
    MarketXLS does provide a good price point for these high level, market data services.
    The data speed, accuracy, coverage and customer communication that I am experiencing so far are impressive.

I am looking forward to (hoping for) a long relationship with the MarketXLS team.
    A few tweaks and data gaps will be requested in the near future.
    But for now, let the MarketXLS folks stay focused on the current problem at hand.

dpcooper and marketxls like this.
  19. David Kanof

David Kanof New Member

I am heartened to see that some long-time users of MarketXLS have replied expressing their satisfaction with the product/service overall. And I am also happy to see how responsive the developers have been to this current situation. Things seem to be much improved this morning.

I, too, am looking forward to a long relationship with the MarketXLS team and will wait until the current dust has settled to post some questions that I have.

marketxls likes this.
  20. brennanr2

brennanr2 New Member

I can report that the functions I use are working and a definite speed improvement versus last week. Nice work.

marketxls likes this.