Disappearing menu

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sean, Jun 13, 2017.

Disappearing menu

1. Sean

Sean New Member

I was using marketXLS earlier today, shut down Excel, came back to it after a couple hours - and the menu is gone. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling, then rebooting, then installing again, then rebooting again, and none of the marketXLS functions or menu appear.

Any ideas what is happening?

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Please can you try an excel repair as well?

3. Sean

Sean New Member

meaning to reinstall Excel? Not sure that I can. Plus, it seems to be doing everything else fine

4. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sean,

Can you attempt to do the following...

1) The remove - uninstall all versions of MarketXLS from the control panel
    2) Repair your Excel install by going to the control panel. Select Microsoft Office, click on change, and then click on Quick repair.
    3) And then install again?

Let me know if this solves it.

5. Sean

Sean New Member

Thank you, I have tried that, but it worked to no avail. I tried the non-quick version of the repair too (I am forgetting how it was labeled in the little dialog box) and after a couple hours it just seems to be hung. no success at all. very frustrating given that I cannot determine that anything changed between morning and afternoon

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sean,

Can we do a quick sreenshare for me to see whats going on there? Can you PM me a good time for it? I will call.

Kind regards
    Ankur

7. Joan Huber

Joan Huber New Member

I had this problem and followed the instructions from someone else who posted here in the past (see below). I had to delete the user.config file designated to me (joan), as described in step 6. That was key. Then I had to restart Excel (and possibly the computer) to get the tab back in Excel. It did not help to repair Excel. In any case, it worked. I am running Excel 2016. Joan

\Hi,

1. I had 8.0.0.0 installed and everything was working fine.
    2. Then I ran the 8.0.0.2 msi to upgrade.
    3. Now the MarketXLS tab is missing from Excel
    4. Using Control Panel I uninstalled Marketxls 8.0.0.0
    5. Using Control Panel I uninstalled Marketxls 8.0.0.2
    6. I deleted the user.config file in:
    C:\Users\kanwa\AppData\Local\Microsoft_Corporation\C__Users_kanwa_AppData_Lo_Path_lmlc1qomkk5vms3bi1pa3rbbufwos1uk

7. Then I ran the 8.0.0.2 msi to upgrade, installs looks to have worked, no error messages
    8. MarketXLS tab is still missing from Excel

Any suggestions on how to get 8.0.0.2 installed?

I am running Windows 10 Pro and Excel 2010.

thanks,
    Kanwal

marketxls likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean New Member

Thanks to both of you. Am actually traveling on business right at the moment with some mixed up time zones. I will reply back to this thread if the suggestion above works when I get a chance to try it

marketxls likes this.
  9. Sean

Sean New Member

Ankur, here is an update:

- The quick repair of Excel had not made a difference so I did the full repair and had to go to dinner before it completed. When I came back it had wiped all of Office of my laptop. I assume because I had licensed it via my previous employer. I reinstalled Office with my new employer's license and then reinstalled MarketXLS and everything was fine for the last week.

- However, earlier today I woke up my machine (I had let it go to sleep over night rather than shutting down) and the first thing I did was launch my spreadsheet. I got an error when Excel was coming up saying I was not connected to the internet so MarketXLS might not run properly. I checked and I was connected, so I assumed that I had launched excel too quickly before the laptop had fully restarted. I went ahead and kicked off the Refresh all function and immediately got lots of errors about a string not being initialized. So I shut down excel thinking I just had to restart it. When I did so - then once again, no MarketXLS menu

- So, I uninstalled and then looked at the config file mentioned above in this thread by Joan. I actually had several including one dated yesterday and some going back to November of last year. I deleted the most recent config file and rebooted and then reinstalled, no luck. I noticed that the directory now had today's time stamp, but no config file in the folder. So deleted all of them, uninstalled again, rebooted, reinstalled. And no menu and no config file.

- In the meantime I had run it successfully on a laptop owned by my employer (which is not a permanent solution because I have to give that back at some point). I wondered if I had deleted too much so I uninstalled, restored the most recent folder that I had deleted and then copied the user.config file from my other working machine onto this one, rebooted, reinstalled and still no menus.

Any ideas? Given that the uninstall wasn't cleaning up the folders where the user.config file sat, is there any way to totally clean up MarketXLS and do an install as it it was the very first time?

10. Sean

Sean New Member

All, in another thread I saw the comment about making sure that COM addins were enabled. When I looked, MarketXLS did not even show up on the list of add ins. Comparing to my machine that works, I attempted to browse to the addin and turn it on. It now appears on the list of addins as enabled, but still does not cause the menu to appear

11. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sean,

Are you on a Surface Pro machine? Can we have a quick call and screenshare?

12. Sean

Sean New Member

No, its an HP Envy Laptop running Windows 10 and Office Professional 2016

As I've continued to mess around with it, I have been able to go through the options menu to turn on the Excel add-in and the COM add-in. Sometimes they stay on and sometimes they don't. When they do, then I can run your tool until I close Excel just fine.

Going back to a question from above, is there a way to do a truly clean install of the product? What do I have to remove, besides uninstalling that app and removing the user.config file and directory to give myself a clean machine and the ability to truly install from scratch

13. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

"What do I have to remove, besides uninstalling that app and removing the user.config file" - That is basically it.

You can try one more thing, if you ever had an old version of marketxls installed. The setup.exe one?

You can try using this command to clear the ClickOnce cache:

rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

14. Sean

Sean New Member

I should've replied earlier to this thread, but shortly after this dialog you released a new version and when I installed it, the problem was completely resolved. Not sure why, but in any case, things have been running fine since then

marketxls likes this.