Error when changing ticker value in spreadsheet.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Manzil, Mar 10, 2018.

Error when changing ticker value in spreadsheet.

1. Manzil

Manzil New Member

Sorry for the newbie question, but I built a really simple little excel spreadsheet to return a couple data points. When I update the ticker, I get an error. It only works with the first ticker I put in (currently MSFT). Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please see attached excel file. Thank you.

PS: It would be helpful if there was a description of the functions in addition to the function names. Most are self-explanatory, but some are a little grey and require experimentation to figure out specifically what they return.

Attached Files:

2. Manzil

Manzil New Member

Ok, I found that some tickers work, some don't.

Sample of tickers that work: GE, MSFT, HP.
    Sample of tickers that don't: APPL, TK, AUPH, GOOG.

3. Manzil

Manzil New Member

hf_ functions still not working for several tickers (GOOG, TK, AUPH, others). Working for some tickers (MSFT, AAPL, BDSI, NEOS, etc.)

earnings_date function returning N/A or incorrect value for several tickers (GOOG, TGTX, etc.) Returning correct value for some tickers.

Difficult to rely on data when it is sporadically missing or incorrect. Please let me know if something wrong on my end. Thank you.

4. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi I checked AAPL it seems to be working fine. Let me get you all the symbols.

Kind regards
    Ankur

5. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

What would be the earnings date as per you for TK? Do they have one?

Thanks

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

The best way to check what is available for a symbol is to click on the symbol and then clicking on All fundamental data in the menu.

Here is the list of tickers for which fundamental data should be available, about 10K stocks.
    http://www.sharadar.com/meta/tickers.txt

Kind regards
    Ankur

7. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, please note that for some companies have their financial year to be April to March and some from Jan to December. Thats why one company may return a value for a quarter and other may not. If the value returned, it may mean one of the following....

The company has not filed the return for that calendar quarter yet. In such cases its also good to try for the previous period.

Kind regards
    Ankur

8. Manzil

Manzil New Member

Thank you for your reply. TK's next earnings date is 5/16/18. Yes, AAPL works--I had made a typo, but the other symbols I specified aren't working (and all are on the NYSE or NASDAQ, not OTC markets.) I will check the spreadsheet, thank you. Is there a reason some symbols have hf_ data and some don't? I would understand about OTC symbols, but all the ones I'm trying to pull are on major markets.

As for fiscal year vs. calendar year, I have noticed the hf_ functions always return calendar year--which is fine for my purposes. For example, MSFT is on a fiscal year, but checking for 2017-Q4 gives me calendar year Q4, not fiscal. BDSI, on the other hand, is on calendar year, so checking for 2017-Q4 would give me calendar year as well. As I said, this functionality is fine, but I have noticed that many stocks that have posted Q4/17 data are not returning values with the hf_ functions.