MarketXLS not working in Office 2016?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LeadingEdge, Mar 23, 2016.

MarketXLS not working in Office 2016?

1. LeadingEdge

LeadingEdge New Member

I upgraded my office products to Office 2016 last week. I just opened a file that I use to update stock quotes and the calcs are not working. I am just getting #NAME? in the field.

2. LeadingEdge

LeadingEdge New Member

I removed and reinstalled MarketXLS and now is working.

3. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Leslie,

Ok, thanks for update.

Kind regards
    Ankur

4. jesseh

jesseh New Member

I had the same problem after my system updated itself to Office 2016.  I ran the setup program (from May 12, 2014) multiple times and it finally worked.  However, when I go to the Stock Quotes tab and click Check for Updates, I get a dialog box that says "Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor."

Clicking the Details... button yields the log shown below.  The file for which the log says that access is denied simply does not exist.  I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thank you,
    Jesse

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows : 10.0.10586.0 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll : 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    clr.dll : 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    dfdll.dll : 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    dfshim.dll : 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700)

SOURCES
    Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/Jesse/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/VLYPC9XP.V9R/DWHWXGGR.K2H/stoc..xcel_a588e530e094bb67_0007.0000_4dcc91d27f926873/Stock_Quotes_In_Excel.appref-ms%7C

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\VLYPC9XP.V9R\DWHWXGGR.K2H\stoc..xcel_a588e530e094bb67_0007.0000_4dcc91d27f926873\Stock_Quotes_In_Excel.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    + Access to the path 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\TEA2PL32.8V2' is denied.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [5/9/2016 9:18:36 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\VLYPC9XP.V9R\DWHWXGGR.K2H\stoc..xcel_a588e530e094bb67_0007.0000_4dcc91d27f926873\Stock_Quotes_In_Excel.appref-ms| has started.
    * [5/9/2016 9:18:36 PM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [5/9/2016 9:18:36 PM] System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    - Access to the path 'C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\TEA2PL32.8V2' is denied.
    - Source: mscorlib
    - Stack trace:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
    at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifest(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

5. vgodinich

vgodinich New Member

SAME ISSUE WITH "#NAME" WHEN TRYING TO USE THE "=NAME(XXX) " FUNCTION IN EXCEL 2013 PRO

UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED WITH NO LUCK

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

I am checking on this check for updates issue. Logs point to access related issue. I will come back asap.

@Vince : Do you see the functions in Excel's function browser?

Thanks
    Ankur

7. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

Please can you browse to this folder, click on security and then see if you have permissions to this folder? Let me know.

>================== quote ===================
    + Access to the path "€˜C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\TEA2PL32.8V2"€™ is denied.
    >===========================================

Thanks

Ankur for MarketXLS

8. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Well, Ankur, this is strange.  The directory you referred to no longer exists.  This may be because I uninstalled and reinstalled the MarketXLS add-on.  I now have:

C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\6N74B8PR.NRD\TZQ8V2G3.E1T\

When I first went to the Deployment directory I was told that I did not have access to it, but then all of a sudden I did have access.  (Sigh.)  The same is true for the two subdirectories, both of which are empty, by the way.  So I tried to use the product again.

This time, when I opened Excel 2016, the add-on loaded without error.  That's good.  I then updated all of my quotes by selecting "Refresh all" from the MarketXLS menu.  The update is quite slow on my system (I have about 60 quotes, all Fidelity funds), but after about 3-4 minutes I got a dialog box that said:

"Invalid license. Please check your key."

I clicked OK in response to that dialog box and all the quotes updated to the latest prices.  Thus, the add-on is working, but it is giving me a spurious error message.

I do believe that I have a valid license, but I bought it for your previous product.  My Order ID is TEC140513-7351-17109.  Could this perhaps be the problem?

Thank you for your assistance.

Jesse

9. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

Your license is valid, this message is a bug and will be fixed on coming Monday release. We got this from other user as well.

Kind regards

Ankur for MarketXLS

10. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Excellent.  Thank you.

Do I have to re-download the tool after Monday to get your new release?  Or will it automatically update when I use it on my system?

Thank you again.

Jesse

11. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

Ideally, it is supposed to prompt you when you open Excel. We will also send out an email about the release. In case it does not you can always install marketxls latest version from the (www . marketxls . com / setup . exe) - remove spaces.

Kind regards

Ankur for MarketXLS

12. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Ankur, one more question ...

Your product seems to work fine, but at times is is incredibly slow.  I cut down the number of quotes I'm asking for to about 10, and I'm only calling the MF_PreviousClose and MF_PreviousClose functions.  Yet still it takes 3-4 minutes to update the sheet.  Am I doing something wrong?

Jesse

13. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

Sure. For these functions you can use group mode like shown below...

http://marketxls.com/knowledgebase/functions-mode-individual-vs-group/

Kind regards

Ankur for MarketXLS

14. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually, I am sorry. Mutual Funds function will not work in group mode.  But we will optimize this now for coming release on Monday. They will be faster.

Kind regards

Ankur for MarketXLS

15. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Ankur, just to close the loop here, I must say that I really appreciate your responsiveness to all these issues.  Thank you very much.

Jesse

16. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Hello, Ankur.  It is now Tuesday, and I went to download your new release from http://www.marketxls.com/setup.exe, but this is the same file that I downloaded on May 9th.  Were you not able to complete the update that you said would be released yesterday?  If so, that's of course fine, but please let us all know when the new release is available.  Thank you.

17. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

Its ready.  We are working on email to send out.

Thanks

Ankur

18. jesseh

jesseh New Member

Ankur, I just downloaded and installed the new version.  It not only seems to solve the spurious error message problem, but it seems to be somewhat faster, too.  Thanks! :)

Jesse

19. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse,

No worries. Thanks. In case you see any issues etc, please post here in forum and we will take care of it.

Kind regards
    Ankur for MarketXLS

20. dfraser

dfraser New Member

Hi - had marketXLS working in Office 2016 but now the ribbon has disappeared...not sure what changed to cause that.

Thanks Don