Unable To Add a Portfolio

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jmalcolm001, Mar 28, 2016.

Unable To Add a Portfolio

1. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

I am unable to add a new portfolio. I typed the name of a portfolio ("IRA")into a cell; selected the cell; right-clicked; selected "MarketXLS Portfolio"; selected "Portfolio"; selected "Add", and I receive an error message "Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string." I click on "OK" and receive the message: Added new portfolio IRA". I click "OK". Then with the same cell selected, I right-clicked; select "MarketXLS Portfolio"; select "Transactions"; select "Add" and the Add template comes up, but there are no portfolios available to select. I tried entering the details for a transaction with no portfolio name selected, and clicked "Update" and received the same error message as when I tried to add a new portfolio. After I clicked on "OK", I receive the message of "Added new Transaction." However with the name of the "new" portfolio cell selected, when I try to list the transactions, all I get are the headings with no transaction details.

I tried to follow the KnowledgeBase article on this subject, but was unable to create a new portfolio or add any transactions to it.

2. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jerry,

This issue was fixed in this release today morning. Please can you check if you are on version 4.0.0.0?

Thanks
    Ankur

3. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

I just downloaded version 4.0.0.0, and I was able to add a portfolio name OK. However, when I try to add transaction, it seems that only "Add" works. When I try to select "Add multiple", I get an error message of "Incorrect syntax near ;;", and when I select "Add multiple template", I get an error message of "Select a blank cell."

I entered a couple of transactions, and tried to "List", but nothing results. However, when I try the Dashboard, the transactions I entered are reflected.

Also, I see no way to enter dividend income.

One last question. How are options to be entered?

4. jmalcolm001

jmalcolm001 New Member

Please respond to my issues.

5. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the delay. Of course. I am investigating this issue. I will come back soon.

Kind Regards
    Ankur

6. marketxls

marketxls Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jerry,

Apologies, for the delay in replying to you.

Regarding the error while adding multiple stocks ---

1) Select a blank cell and click on "add multiple template"

2) The populate values in the rows below the header

Like shown in the attachment below....

[​IMG]

3) And then select the cell/s with the portfolio name, for example in this case we will select cell that has P1 and then we will click on "Add Multiple".

I tested this and this will work for you as well. At the moment portfolio only tracks stock price, holding and returns based on pricing only.

For the dividends, since we are tracking dividends of stocks in our database the returns calculated in the dashboard will include dividend in the calculations.

About Options, since we do not have historical option data, we are not able to produce a returns dashboard for the options. At the moment the portfolio only works for US Stocks  and not for derivatives.

Many Thanks

Ankur